I am opinionated, I often run into disagreements. I learnt early that being open to a discussion is important to then resolve the disagreement.
What I am slowly realizing is the importance of helping the other party remain open. The other person may have a very differnt personality and find it hard to remain open to a discussion. However, I am realizing that I can play a huge role in allowing the other person to remaining open.
- Help save face- disagreeing privately helps a lot in this case. Or finding the resolution scenario that makes the other party look good.
- Don’t reveal your stance – Don’t disagree, just say “I don’t understand, can you help me understand” . Ask questions about the topic.
- Agree temporarily – Say that’s fascinating because I would have done … But actually your solution ensures we gain XYZ and then ask questions that lead to the reason you disagree.
- Diffuse the situation or delay the discussion to a happier time – Disagree, wait for the reaction, say you are tired & need a coffee. Go for a coffee together and ask that we discuss the issue after the coffee. Start the discussion with a joke after coffee-if only it were as easy as coffee or something.
- Admit when you didn’t consider a scenario or are wrong!
Remaining open is important to resolving a disagreement. Also important is my ability to help the other party remain open.
Do you have other views?