I get frustrated when I wait for someone – I get stuck in a negative state. Maybe I have more to lose in such situations and I’ve tried to find ways to get comfortable with waiting.
- Wait in a comfortable place: I try not to wait for anyone at a bus stop, outdoor area or market! Rather wait for them at a more comfortable place – say a cafe. So the plan is never – “Let’s meet by that road corner and walk over to my favourite cafe” but its rather “Meet at my favourite cafe, call if you are lost”.
- Have something to do: I carry a notebook and some 10-15 min task that I can complete. Switching my mental state from “can’t believe he is making me wait” to “oh yay, 10 mins to do XYZ” helps. Or play a game 😛
- Prepare for a grand opening: Most late-comers will start with “Sorry I am late”. That means you can also plan your response and shape the rest of the meeting, here are some curve balls to give you an idea.
- To surprise – “That’s ok, you must have run over and its a hot day. Here’s a lemon aid to cool down”
- Get a free meal – “Thats ok, the least I could do is wait, you are going to pay after all!”
- For sarcasm lovers “Oh I love waiting for you”
I think the big lesson is to move from thinking of the waiting time as an annoying experience to celebrating the extra “me time”.
Do you have other tips?